You’ve made the exciting decision to rent an RV, so now what?!! You’re about to join millions of others who are stepping away from the traditional hotel and houses to embark on accommodations that are way more fun and more adventurous. There are many reasons for renting an RV, the most popular…a family vacation. These tips will get you off to a great start for creating memories that will last a lifetime.
- Have a destination in mind. Explore any restrictions that may be in place. Reserve a rental site with full hook-ups (fresh water, electricity, and sewer). Without hook-ups, you’ll be operating off the grid , and unless you’re an experienced RVer, it’s not advised.
- Plan your route, including stops for fuel.
- Book your rental well in advance so you can find the perfect RV that fits your wants and needs.
- Create a checklist and get answers directly from the owner (What are the cancellation & refund policies when renting? What is required to tow a trailer? Can the awning be used? Can our pet come along? What are the pick-up and return times? Are kitchen items and bedding included? Is there a generator? Is there A/C and/or heating? What happens if something breaks down?)
- Ensure you, or the owner, has reliable RV rental insurance.
- Take time with the owner to learn all features, systems and operations of the RV, internal and external.
- Know all the fees involved (mileage fee, generator fee, dumping fee, cleaning fee, pet fee, etc.) and don’t hesitate to bargain for unlimited mileage or free generator use. Do keep in mind, owners have many expenses to upkeep their RVs.
- Last, and most important, take your time, vow to laugh, relax, and enjoy your adventure!
Here are a couple other of our fave sites for helpful tips:
Do you have an RV rental story to tell? Share it here!